Posts Tagged CNN
(Dreadmonger Florida Bureau) New reports that show that Senator Marco Rubio‘s (R-FLA.) parents left Cuba before the Castro regime took power, not after as Senator Rubio had previously claimed, have mainstream reporters incensed and vowing to “occupy Marco Rubio”.
The news, first reported by the Washington Post last Friday, noted that Senator Rubio’s parents had moved to the U.S. in 1957, two years before the Castro regime took power in Cuba. The Post had obtained the information upon examining official records and naturalisation documentation. Senator Rubio had previously claimed on his web-site that his “Cuban born parents…came to America following Fidel Castro’s takeover.”
Senator Rubio has responded to the Post’s article by stating, “”If The Washington Post wants to criticize me for getting a few dates wrong, I accept that.”
But the story has triggered a media feeding frenzy of attacks on Senator Rubio’s integrity. Calling it a “monster scoop”, Politico’s Keach Hagey noted, “It was a potentially explosive story, one that could call into question the credibility and the essential life story of someone the Republican establishment has rallied around with the kind of high hopes not seen since Ronald Reagan.”
Call Senator Rubio’s story a “lie”, the Huffington Post reported, “Florida Republican and Tea Party favorite Sen. Marco Rubio can add a new line to his political bio: He’s now part of a long list of politicians who have been accused of embellishing basic facts about their personal narratives.”
CNN added, “Rubio may need a whole book to explain the contradictions surrounding his biography.”
Reporters from CNN, the Huffington Post, the Daily KOS, Politico, and Chris Matthews and Ed Schultz from MSNBC have vowed to camp out on Senator Rubio’s lawn until, as Matthews said, “We get some answers.”
The group has set up a tent city with homemade signs declaring “Occupy Rubio Now!” on the front lawn of Senator Rubio’s Coral Gables home. As of our latest report of Thursday morning, they had been joined there by several dozen protestors.
The group has named Dennis Galbicker as the spokesperson and coordinator for group activities. Dreadmonger reporters caught up with Mr. Galbicker on Senator Rubio’s lawn earlier today.
“We have trademarked the name ‘Occupy Rubio Now!’,” said Mr. Galbicker, “and we are committed to staying here until we get some answers.”
When Dreadmonger reporters asked Mr. Galbicker what answers the movement sought, he replied, “Well, we think that Senator Rubio needs to explain why he has misrepresented his parents’ status as ‘exiles’.”
When Dreadmonger reporters informed Mr. Galbicker that Senator Rubio had already answered that question, Mr. Galbicker said, “Well, we still have issues that need to be discussed. And, we’re not going anywhere until we get some answers to those questions. I mean, issues.”
Senator Rubio, in telling of the impact of his parent’s journey as exiles, recounted the following story,
“A few years ago, using Google Earth, I attempted to take my parents back to Cuba. We found the rooftop of the house where my father was born. What I wouldn’t give to visit these places where my story really began, before I was born. One day, when Cuba is free, I will. But I wish I could have done it with my parents.”
Dreadmonger will continue to provide updates as the story unfolds.
- Is Marco Rubio still VP material? (politico.com)
- Rubio Hits Back Against Accusations Surrounding His Parents’ Origins (huffingtonpost.com)
- Latest Details In Marco Rubio Family’s Exile Saga Differ From NPR Interview (npr.org)
Those are harsh words James. The Democratic strategist, in an opinion piece today for CNN, offered his prescription to President Obama for turning around the flagging performance of the Democrats in light of this week’s election results in New York and Nevada. Carville spoke with his usual candor, ratcheted up a notch.
Carville’s four point plan:
1) Fire somebody! Just look around you, lots of folks to choose from here. Jarrett, Holder, Geithner, take your pick. Nobody will miss them, and you’ll be cheered. Maybe even given a ticker tape parade.
2) Arrest somebody! Start with this Solyndra deal. What a cluster that one was! Surely there is some DOE or OMB honcho you can tag for this one. If not, go with Biden. He’s a joke anyhow and that frees up a valuable, wasted slot on the VP ticket.
3) Re-hire someone you fired, fire them again, and then arrest them. Make a spectacle of it. The Romans had it figured out with the Colliseum. They recognized that people love blood and spectacle. Give it to them and then, give them some more.
4) Punch somebody in the face! Not literally, of course, but figuratively. Humiliate somebody brutally and in public. I would think a Plouffe or an Axelrod would be good here. And, of course, Robert Gibbs. Everybody in the whole country hates that guy. You could sell tickets for that one. Sell out an arena. No, wait, you want to sell out an arena, make fun of Paul Krugman. You could make that guy cry, easy.
Carville said his plan was designed to protect the nation from “these creationism-loving, global-warming-denying, immigration-bashing, Social-Security-cutting, clean-air-hating, mortality-fascinated, Wall-Street-protecting Republicans”.
When asked what advice he would give the White House, Carville said, “One word comes to mind: Panic.”
Dreadmonger attempted to reach Mr. Carville to ask him what he really thinks. He has not yet returned our phone calls.