Posts Tagged Solyndra
Those are harsh words James. The Democratic strategist, in an opinion piece today for CNN, offered his prescription to President Obama for turning around the flagging performance of the Democrats in light of this week’s election results in New York and Nevada. Carville spoke with his usual candor, ratcheted up a notch.
Carville’s four point plan:
1) Fire somebody! Just look around you, lots of folks to choose from here. Jarrett, Holder, Geithner, take your pick. Nobody will miss them, and you’ll be cheered. Maybe even given a ticker tape parade.
2) Arrest somebody! Start with this Solyndra deal. What a cluster that one was! Surely there is some DOE or OMB honcho you can tag for this one. If not, go with Biden. He’s a joke anyhow and that frees up a valuable, wasted slot on the VP ticket.
3) Re-hire someone you fired, fire them again, and then arrest them. Make a spectacle of it. The Romans had it figured out with the Colliseum. They recognized that people love blood and spectacle. Give it to them and then, give them some more.
4) Punch somebody in the face! Not literally, of course, but figuratively. Humiliate somebody brutally and in public. I would think a Plouffe or an Axelrod would be good here. And, of course, Robert Gibbs. Everybody in the whole country hates that guy. You could sell tickets for that one. Sell out an arena. No, wait, you want to sell out an arena, make fun of Paul Krugman. You could make that guy cry, easy.
Carville said his plan was designed to protect the nation from “these creationism-loving, global-warming-denying, immigration-bashing, Social-Security-cutting, clean-air-hating, mortality-fascinated, Wall-Street-protecting Republicans”.
When asked what advice he would give the White House, Carville said, “One word comes to mind: Panic.”
Dreadmonger attempted to reach Mr. Carville to ask him what he really thinks. He has not yet returned our phone calls.
- Carville: Obama should ‘panic’ (politico.com)
- The perils of partisan punditry in the Obama age (salon.com)
- Carville’s Advice for Obama: Panic! (newser.com)
In an apparent gesture of gratitude for the $535 million in loan guarantees that the Department of Energy provided to Solyndra, the solar panel maker and principal investor George Kaiser got together today and sent a fruit and cheese basket to the White House.
Bunny Whitmore, Assistant Under-Secretary to White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, told Dreadmonger, “It is a really nice basket. It has those big giant Florida grapefruits and peaches that are the biggest I’ve ever seen. And the cheese is out of this world.”
Solyndra has been having a tough time of it lately. The firm announced last week that, despite the generosity of the DOE and the American taxpayer, it would be forced to lay off all 1100 of its employees, close its doors, and file for bankruptcy protection.
The White House-sponsered loan guarantee given to the solar panel maker was intended to create 1,000 full-time “green jobs” once Solyndra’s new plant was up and running. But intense competition from Chinese manufacturers proved too much for the California-based company.
The Obama administration promoted Solyndra as an example of the ability of “green technology” to create jobs. In his visit to the Solyndra’s new factory in 2010, the President said, “it is just a testament to American ingenuity and dynamism and the fact that we continue to have the best universities in the world, the best technology in the world, and most importantly the best workers in the world. And you guys all represent that. ”
Solyndra opened in 2005 and in 2009 received the Obama administration’s first energy loan guarantee. The $535 million was intended to mitigate the risk to venture capital firms that were funding the start-up. A major investor in Solyndra, George Kaiser, has been identified as a bundler for President Obama’s 2008 campaign, raising large amounts of cash for that effort.
The House Energy and Commerce Committee has been probing Solyndra’s loan guarantee and in July issued a subpoena to the White House Office of Management and Budget for documents relating to all Energy Department loan guarantees.
“This is really bad news,” said House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Fred Upton (R-Mich.). “Half a billion dollars of taxpayer money and we may end up holding the bag. This is just a classic case of fraud and abuse and waste.”
Meanwhile, back at the White House, Bunny Whitmore was passing around samples from the fruit basket to members of the Press Secretary’s staff. “I must admit,” said Ms. Whitmore, “I don’t know who these Solyndra guys are but, I sure hope they remember us again at Christmas time.”
Dreadmonger will provide updates to this story as they become available.
- FBI raid on Solyndra may herald escalation of watchdog probe (sfgate.com)
- FBI Raids Bankrupt Solyndra as Lawmakers Question Finances (businessweek.com)
- Report: Obama White House Intervened To Get Loan For Questionable Solar Energy Firm (outsidethebeltway.com)